Sunday, July 06, 2008

The only place you can get good tofu; to be exact (臭豆腐) smelly tofu

There are 2 types of smelly tofu; the wet and the dry. I already had the wet 臭豆腐 with the porriage the first night I arrived. This time I went for the dried one along 士林夜市 (Shi Lin night market) in Taipei city.


Just a small humble stall that fry smelly tofu 臭豆腐 and cook cold noodles 凉面. What can I say about the stall unit? The owner definitely knows how to make full use of the space =)





So many stall to choose from, why did I end up in this stall? 1st, suggested by a friend.
2nd , There was a loooooong queue.
So... was the squeezing and long wait worth it???

Let me see.....
The 1st time (2nd day) I went there with sis and friend, we had 3 plates of 臭豆腐 and 2 plates of 凉面
The second time (4th day) I went back there with 2 sis and 1 bro to be, we had 4 plates of 臭豆腐 and 3 plates of 凉面




There would have been a 3rd time if it wasn't for the buzy schedule... hehe
This stall = definitely worth the wait....


臭豆腐 with pickled vegetables
This stall's tofu does not have the typical pungent smelly tofu smell. It is actually quite pleasent to the nose, especially for those who have not tried this before. Crispy on the outer layer, soft and juicy inside.... mixed it with the pickled spicy vege.... YUM!!!


凉面
Suitable to be consumed on a hot summer day. No oil, just sauces. Served cold. There is a choice of original, Thai or numb spicy noodle.
1. Original flavour; the base of the sauce is sesame oil and peanut sauce.
2. Thai flavour; a dash of lime/lemon with sweet chilli sauce added to the original.
3. Numb spicy flavour; Extra numb spicy chilli added to the original. (really numbs the tongue)


Note: In total I had smelly tofu 3 out of 4 days The moment I arrived -.-

No comments: